- Students will get to know their classmates in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Students will begin the year with a positive experience.
- The teacher will have the opportunity to informally gather first impressions ofthe students.
- Inexpensive drinks
- A few snacks
- Copies of the "Getting to Know You" Game
- Tell the students that they're going to learn some fun and exciting things this year, so the classwill be starting off with a "Getting to Know You" party.
- Hand out the "Getting to Know You"Game sheets and read the instructions aloud.
- Tell the students they will have ten minutes to gather as many initials from their classmates as they can.
- Encourage the students to speak to every person in the class before the game is over.
- As the children play the game, observe the way the children interact and gather some first impressions.
- After 10 minutes, tell the students to stop playing the game and sit down.
- Hand out the snacks and drinks.
- Discuss the similarities and differences everyone discovered while playing the game.