- Students will know you better.
- Students will be welcomed to your class and given an idea of what they will be doing during the year.
- Students share some personal information about themselves orally.
- Students will learn about each others' interests and families.
- At the beginning of the year, ask students to bring in a lunch bag filled with no more than five objects that they would like to share with the class, e.g. pictures of their family, something that shows a hobby or free-time activity, something special about their family, an award they have won, a part of a collection, or a favorite book.
- The teacher should also prepare a bag with personal items for presentation.
- Gather the class together and share the contents of your bag first to model what might be said and explained in a presentation.
- Giving the students a time limit (like three minutes), students each present their items. Questions may be asked to spark more conversation and interest.
- Briefly explain to the class a few of your major objectives for the year.