War and Peace
On May 7, 1945, Germany surrendered, ending World War II in Europe.
The following sentences can be rearranged and combined into a paragraph aboutWorld War II. Put these sentences into the correct order and write the paragraph on the back of the paper.
- England fought on alone.
- Germany surrendered on May 7, 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
- They were called the Allies.
- They fought against the Axis powers, consisting of Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- At first, the war went badly for the Allies.
- England, France, and Australia came to Poland's defence.
- This war began in 1939 when German armies invaded Poland.
- The United States entered the war on December 7, 1941, the date of Japan's sneak attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
- After many battles, the tide began to turn until the surrender of Germany in 1945.
- France surrendered and the Germans occupied Paris.
Here are more sentences about World War II. Rearrange these sentences into aparagraph. Write the paragraph on the back of the paper.
- They were taken from their homes and sent to concentration camps, where they were tortured and murdered.
- This was the killing of ten million innocent men, women, and children by the Nazis who ruled Germany.
- Historians are still trying to understand this horrible event in the hope of avoiding future holocausts.
- One of the most horrifying events of World War II in Europe was the Holocaust.
- After the war, the Germans tried to hide these atrocities.
- Among them were six million Jews.
- These were people whom the Germans had decided should be destroyed.
- Gradually, the world learned what had happened.