Veterans Day Comprehension Questions
- Do you know these words? Find the words in the story. Draw a line under them. Copy the words. Look them up in the dictionary and write down their meanings.
veteran horn honor soldier whistle unknown fight/fought ring/rang war world war bell eleven country silent tomb armistice silence remember leader bury services sign cemetery
- Read these sentences and answer the questions.
- What did the Armistice mean?
- Who do Americans honor on Veterans Day?
- When do Americans observe one minute of complete silence?
- If you are from a country outside of the United States, do you have a day to remember soldiers who died in wars?
- If so, when is it?
- What happens on that day?
- In general, what are the reasons that nations go to war?
Adapted from ESL Teacher's Holiday Activities Kit, by Elizabeth Claire.