Teen Suicide Awareness: Statistics
How real is the problem of youth suicide? Here are the numbers:
- EVERY YEAR there are approximately 10 youth suicides for every 100,000 youth.
- EVERY DAY there are approximately 11 youth suicides.
- EVERY 2 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES a person under the age of 25 completes suicide
How pervasive is the problem of youth suicide? Here's a brief review of what national data tell us:
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for teens.
- Suicide is second leading cause of death in colleges.
- For every suicide completion, there are between 50 and 200 attempts.
- CDC Youth Risk Survey: 8.5% of students in grades 9-12 reported a suicide attempt in the past year.
- 25% of high-school students report suicide ideation.
- The suicide attempt rate is increasing for youths ages 10-14.
- Suicide had the same risk and protective factors as other problem behaviors, such as drugs, violence, and risky sexual activities.
- While a single suicide is a tragedy, it is estimated that for every adolescent who completes suicide, there are between 50 and 200 suicide attempts.
- A recent survey of high-school students found that almost 1 in 5 had seriously considered suicide; more than 1 in 6 had made plans to attempt suicide; and more than 1 in 12 had made a suicide attempt in the past year.
Provided in partnership with Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide, Inc.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial