Learn more about the impact of suicide on today's youth with these statistics, provided by the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide.
Teen Suicide Awareness: Statistics
How real is the problem of youth suicide? Here are the numbers:
- EVERY YEAR there are approximately 10 youth suicides for every 100,000 youth.
- EVERY DAY there are approximately 11 youth suicides.
- EVERY 2 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES a person under the age of 25 completes suicide
How pervasive is the problem of youth suicide? Here's a brief review of what national data tell us:
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for teens.
- Suicide is second leading cause of death in colleges.
- For every suicide completion, there are between 50 and 200 attempts.
- CDC Youth Risk Survey: 8.5% of students in grades 9-12 reported a suicide attempt in the past year.
- 25% of high-school students report suicide ideation.
- The suicide attempt rate is increasing for youths ages 10-14.
- Suicide had the same risk and protective factors as other problem behaviors, such as drugs, violence, and risky sexual activities.
- While a single suicide is a tragedy, it is estimated that for every adolescent who completes suicide, there are between 50 and 200 suicide attempts.
- A recent survey of high-school students found that almost 1 in 5 had seriously considered suicide; more than 1 in 6 had made plans to attempt suicide; and more than 1 in 12 had made a suicide attempt in the past year.