- Students will be able to describe the first winter that the Pilgrims spent in Plymouth.
- Students will be able to retell the first meeting of the Native people and the Pilgrims.
- Students will be able to define and illustrate key vocabulary words (optional).
- Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness (pp. 9 - 14 )
- Pilgrim Fact Cards 6 & 7
- Class Chart
- Tell students that they are going to become newspaper reporters. They will be writing about the Pilgrims' first winter in Plymouth and their meetings with Samoset, Massasoit, and Squanto.
- Pass out the Pilgrim Fact Cards 6 & 7 and Three Young Pilgrims. Remind the students that when they write their articles they must answer the five questions journalists cover: Who? What? Where? When? and Why?
- Students will write newspaper articles with a partner.
- Students will define and illustrate the vocabulary from the lesson (optional).
- Upon completion of the assignment update the Class Chart (begun in Lesson 1).
- Students will illustrate their newspaper articles.
- Students will write additional articles highlighting other events or people of that era.