A list of skills typically taught in fifth grade.
A fifth grader needs to take almost full responsibility for her homework. She will be using assignment notepads and learning good studying and note-taking habits. In fifth grade, students will:
- Follow all capitalization rules.
- Use all punctuation marks appropriately.
- Appreciate different forms of literature.
- Increase their vocabularies through the use of synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and analogies.
- Recognize and use all parts of speech.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions and decimals.
- Recognize relationships between fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Determine the perimeter of polygons and the area of squares and rectangles.
- Use basic spelling rules.
- Understand basic United States history, geography, economics, and government.