- The student will recognize similar letters in groups of words.
- Using index cards, the student will form rhyming words.
- Using letter tiles, the student will write rhyming words correctly.
- Letter tiles, one container per student
- Practice masters
- Index cards, markers
- Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
- Rhyming Bingo game
- Using practice masters, the students will circle similar letters in words (rhyming sounds).
- Using 2 sets of index cards, students will form rhyming words. One group of students will have cards with red letters printed on them. The other group will have blue letters. Each set of cards will contain all letters of the alphabet. The teacher will write a word, such as "bag", on the board. At the sound, "Go", each group will be instructed to form the word using the index cards. The first group to correctly spell the word earns one point. The game continues until ten points are earned by one of the groups.
- The students will be given a BINGO card and markers. Play the game as usual.
- The book Hop on Pop, by Dr. Seuss, will be given to each student. The teacher will read it aloud to the students. Students will follow along with the teacher. After every 2-3 pages, the teacher will stop reading and ask students, "Which words are rhyming words?"
- Using the book, Hop on Pop, students will use letter tiles to make words found in the book. The students will place tiles in proper order to make words such as day, play, say, all, tall, ball.
Common Core Standards:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.ARecognize and produce rhyming words.