Grade Levels: K - 8
- Students will learn how to weave using paper and/or cloth.
- Students will learn about the tasks performed by women during colonial times.
- Copies of Paper Weavings Instruction Sheet
- 12" x 18" colored construction paper
- School glue
- Distribute the Paper Weavings Instruction Sheet.
- Discuss the role of women in colonial times.
- Go over the instructions with your students.
- Distribute materials and allow time for students to make a weaving. Encourage variations to the basic weaving pattern as outlined and suggest limiting color selections to three or four choices.
- When students are finished, display the weavings around the room.
- (Optional) Laminating the weavings will preserve them and turn them into usable placemats.
- Extension Activity: Contact the art teacher in your building well in advance and coordinate a fabric- or rag-weaving activity while your classes are learning about the New England colonies.
Excerpted from America: Ready-to-Use Interdisciplinary Lessons & Activities for Grades 5-12.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial