- The students will become familiar with the names and locations of the fifty states.
- The students will learn the postal codes for the states.
- Large, wall map of the United States
- Set of atlases
- Set of blank political maps of the U.S.
- Introduce the unit by displaying a large map of the United States. Ask what students know about the geography (study of earth and its features) of the United States and what they notice from the map.
- Pass out individual maps and atlases. Explain postal codes and direct students to find a list of them in their atlases.
- Students will then choose a partner and will label the fifty states using the postal codes.
- They also must label large bodies of water, significant mountain ranges and bordering countries.