- Students will learn how to write a haiku.
- Students will practice their reading comprehensions skills.
- Copies of the Haiku Handout
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and/or the rest of the Harry Potter books.
- Distribute the Haiku Handout to students.
- Go over sections 1, 2 and 3 of the handout together.
- Count the syllables in the sample poems together (either as a class or in small groups).
- Have students write their own haiku using the template at the bottom of the handout.
- Break the class into partners and have students check each other's work by counting the syllables in each line.
- Give students time to edit their poems.
- Have students share their poems with the class.