- Students will observe water moving in waves.
- Students will discuss why waves move in similar patterns.
- A 1 liter plastic bottle for each student.
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Give each student a plastic bottle.
- Ask students to fill the bottle two-thirds full of water.
- Direct students to add a few drops of food coloring to the water.
- Ask students to fill the bottle to the top with oil, then screw on the top tightly.
- Tell students to turn the bottle on its side and gently roll it around to make waves.
- Instruct students to draw a few pictures of the waves they see.
- Direct students to write down anything they notice about the movement of the waves.
- Have a class discussion about why students think the waves move the way they do.
- As an extension activity, discuss other factors that might effect waves such as the ocean floor, sandbars, rocky coasts and, of course, the moon.