- Find music that fits the mood of the book. Read the relevant section of the story to the class while playing the music in the background.
- Have your students use popsicle sticks and paper to create each of the characters who was portrayed in the story. You can then have your students use these to act out a scene from the book.
- Students can make a cardboard doll of any character in the story, along with several examples of the clothing that the characters would wear.
Social Studies Connections
- Research and print out types of clothing worn by the people of China. Have your students talk about the differences and similarities that they notice with their own clothing.
- Learn about the different types of food people from China would eat. Prepare a dish for your class to try.
- Look at the world map and draw a line from China to the United States Discuss with your students how far away China is and how long it would take to fly there.
- Read Little Red Riding Hood to your class.
- Brainstorm with your students the similarities and differences in Lon Po Po and Little Red Riding Hood.