Election Vocabulary Brainstorm
Grade Levels: 5 - 8
- Students will be introduced to vocabulary related to elections.
- Students will generate questions about campaigns and elections.
- Students will paraphrase articles.
- Students will generate a class vocabulary list.
- Current newspapers with election coverage, or articles from the web
- Paper, pens
- Students take out a piece of paper and for one minute write down all of the election related words they can think of.
- After the time is up, list the words on the board.
- Organize the students into groups and have each group look up a set of the brainstormed words.
- Each group shares the definitions with the class.
- Distribute current newspapers (or references) with election coverage.
- Each group should read the materials and do the following:
- Be able to paraphrase for the class what was read.
- Think of three questions about the article.
- Try to find the vocabulary words in the articles, writing down the sentences in which they're found.
- Try to find other campaign vocabulary words in the articles, writing down the sentences in which they're found.
- Each group then presents their paraphrases, asks their questions, and reads the sentences containing the vocabulary.
- As a class, generate a final list of election vocabulary for study and testing.
Additional Ideas: Here is a list of Election Related Vocabulary that you may use with this lesson.