Build Your Own Volcano
Grade Levels: 3 - 6
Ready for some backyard activity – volcanic activity, that is! Here's what you need:
- Baking pan or cover of a large bucket
- Soda bottle (16 ounce or 20 ounce)
- Moist soil or sand
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup vinegar
- Red food coloring
- Color the vinegar with red food coloring.
- Put the baking pan (or cover) on the ground and place the soda bottle in the middle of it.
- Shape the moist soil (or sand) around the bottle to form a mountain. Bring the soil to the bottle's opening, but don't get the soil inside the bottle.
- Pour the baking soda into the bottle.
- Pour the colored vinegar into the bottle
Watch red foam spray out of the top and down the mountain like lava from a volcano.Why it happened
The baking soda reacted with the vinegar to produce carbon dioxide gas. The gas built up enough pressure to push the foaming liquid out of the top of the bottle.
Provided by Factmonster.com.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial