- Quart jars (use pint jars to complete the project on a smaller scale)
- Potting soil
- Varieties of seeds
- Crushed ice
- Lead a brainstorming discussion about the changes present as winter gives way to spring.
- Put the children in groups of four and provide each group with a jar.
- The groups add potting soil to about 1/3 full.
- Sprinkle seeds, then add another 1/4" of potting soil.
- Add crushed ice to about 1" deep.
- It is now winter in the seasonal terrarium.
- Put a lid on the terrarium and place it in a sunny window. The children should watch and, if you wish, journal the changes beginning with the melting snow, which waters the tiny seeds. Within a few weeks, the warmth and moisture will encourage seedlings to creep cautiously upward. Eventually spring will come to the terrarium with tall, viable plants.
Excerpted from Themes Across the Curriculum.