- Students will be able to map the school room using scale.
- Students will be able to make and use a legend.
- Students will be able to orient map using a compass.
- A map with a legend for each student
- 6 compasses
- A ruler for each student
- Drawing paper (with graph overlay)
- Classroom dimensions
- Classroom furniture measurements on fact sheet/transparency
- Discuss idea of legend and orientation/students practice with compasses and map handouts.
- Discuss scale (e.g., 1 centimeter = 5 meters).
- Using graph paper, students will map out the room.
- Work in groups or pairs for peer help.
- If there's time, transfer graph paper floor plan to drawing paper.
- Add legend and compass rose.
- Share the maps with the whole class.
- As students become skilled in map making, they can work in groups to map out each floor of the school or make maps of their neighborhoods.