What Is Kwanzaa?
Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will use vocabulary related to Kwanzaa.
- Students will identify main ideas and details related to the celebration of Kwanzaa.
- Students will summarize information about Kwanzaa.
- Kwanzaa Concept Map graphic organizer (included in the this lesson's packet)
- Kwanzaa Comparison Chart (included in the this lesson's packet)
- Access to the internet to search for Kwanzaa websites
- Introduce key vocabulary: celebration, Kwanzaa, rejoicing, principles, symbols, unique. (included in the this lesson's packet)
- Invite pairs of students to use the Internet (Ex: InfoPlease or Official Kwanzaa Website) to learn more about this celebration.
- Have students use the Kwanzaa Concept Map graphic organizer to organize main ideas about the holiday of Kwanzaa. Have the students add circles to give details about each main idea.
- Set aside a time for groups to share their organizers and talk about the holiday.
Use students' graphic organizers to evaluate their ability to synthesize information about the holiday of Kwanzaa. Ask students to complete the Kwanzaa Comparison Chart.
Find additional Kwanzaa lessons and activities that can be used as extension activities on TeacherVision®.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial