Crisis Intervention Procedures
- Building administrator/crisis team leader verifies the event through preliminary source, parent contact, or police. Calls 911 if necessary. Prepares formal written statement.
- Administrator/leader notifies the Superintendent and provides the formal written statement.
- Administrator/leader phones team members. Activates calling tree for certified and classified staff. Distributes the formal written statement.
- Administrator/leader activates crisis center (office of counselor, nurse and/or administrator; gym; cafeteria).
- Administrator/leader convenes crisis team to plan response (administrator, counselor, psychologist, nurse, teacher and secretary).
- Administrator/leader determines the need for district crisis team and assigns team members the duty of contacting them. Sets time and agenda for faculty meeting.
- Designated team member announce the event to students and the time for a faculty meeting.
- Crisis team members carry out assignments in the areas of logistics, students, staff, parents, media, and victim's family.
- Crisis team assesses the need for additional support and follow-up activities.
- Team holds a crisis debriefing.
Click here for more on Helping Students Deal With Crises.
Provided in partnership with The Council for Exceptional Children.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial