- Students will learn how to weave using paper and/or cloth.
- Students will learn about the tasks performed by women during colonial times.
- Copies of Paper Weavings Instruction Sheet
- 12" x 18" colored construction paper
- School glue
- Distribute the Paper Weavings Instruction Sheet.
- Discuss the role of women in colonial times.
- Go over the instructions with your students.
- Distribute materials and allow time for students to make a weaving. Encourage variations to the basic weaving pattern as outlined and suggest limiting color selections to three or four choices.
- When students are finished, display the weavings around the room.
- (Optional) Laminating the weavings will preserve them and turn them into usable placemats.
- Extension Activity: Contact the art teacher in your building well in advance and coordinate a fabric- or rag-weaving activity while your classes are learning about the New England colonies.
Excerpted from America: Ready-to-Use Interdisciplinary Lessons & Activities for Grades 5-12.