You can modify this arts & craft activity with different colored papers to make candles for Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Advent. Before starting the craft, explain the significance of candles for each of these holidays.
Students make a candle decoration.
- Toilet tissue tube or paper towel tube
- White, yellow, green, red, and black construction paper
- Some small pieces of cardboard
- Glue white construction paper over the toilet tissue tube.
- Cut the cardboard into a circle shape approximately 1-inch bigger than circumference of the tube.
- Cover one side of cardboard circle with black construction paper for base of candle.
- Glue tube to candle base.
- Cut out two flame shapes from the yellow construction paper.
- Glue flames to the other end of the tube, to each side of the tube, facing each other.
- Cut out nine holly leaf shapes from the green construction paper.
- Cut out nine red berry shapes from the red construction paper.
- Glue the base of each leaf to the base of the candle, overlapping leaves slightly as you go around.
- Glue a red berry to the base of each leaf.