The IEP Team Members
IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) defines the "IEP team" as a group of people who areresponsible for developing, reviewing, and revising the IEP (Individualized Education Program) for a student with a disability.By law, these people include:
- At least one general education teacher, if the student is (or might be) participating in the general education environment.
- At least one special education teacher or provider.
- A representative of the local educational agency who is knowledgeable about specially designed instruction for students with disabilities, the general curriculum, and the availability of local educational agency resources.
- The parents.
- The student, as appropriate.
- Someone who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results, who may be another team member.
- Other people whom the parents or the school have chosen to invite.
Collectively, the IEP team members should be knowledgeable about:
- The student.
- Available services.
- External and internal sources of assistance.
- The IEP process.