Tlingit Indians of the Pacific Northwest
Grade Levels: 3 - 5Objectives
- Students will use vocabulary related to the lives of the Tlingit Indians of the Pacific Northwest.
- Students will appreciate how the natural environment affects the lives of the Tlingit people.
- Students will recognize how the environment affects their own daily lives.
- Tlingit Indians of the Pacific Northwest worksheet
- Tlingit of the Northwest Coast website
- Introduce key vocabulary: canoe, climate, evergreen, lush, sacred, totem pole, vegetation.
- Have students work with partners to complete the Tlingit Indians of the Pacific Northwest worksheet after they visit the website.
- Set up a time when students can share the information they discovered.
- Use students' worksheet responses to evaluate their ability to gather information about the relationship between the Tlingit people and their environment. Assign a point value for each response.
- Find a variety of assessment techniques to use with this lesson.
- Choose from a large collection of cross-curricular activities for all grade levels.
- Explore outstanding lessons and activities in the Native Americans theme.
- Have students work individually or with partners to create totem poles similar to the ones the Tlingit people build.
- Using the Internet, have students view photographs of some of the wildlife native to the Pacific Northwest.
National Social Studies Standards
Students develop an understanding of:
- how human beings create, learn, apply, modify, and adapt to their cultures.
- relationships between human beings and their environment.
- their historical roots and are able to locate themselves in time.
- how reading about and reconstructing the past allows them to develop historical perspective.
- places and regions and interactions of environment and society.
National Educational Technology Standards
- practice responsible use of technology systems, information, and software.
- use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial