Calypso, Calypso and Silver Moon Boat
Grade Levels: 6 - 8
- Students will sing folk songs from different ethnic origins, using stylistically appropriate articulation.
- Copies of "Calypso, Calypso" and "Silver Moon Boat"
- Have students sing "Calypso, Calypso" and "Silver Moon Boat Song," expressively.
- Review with students that "Silver Moon Boat Song" is a folk song from China and that the calypso style is from the West Indies.
- Have students experiment singing "Calypso, Calypso" in a legato style and "Silver Moon Boat Song" percussively.
- Discuss with students which style of articulation seems to work best for each song and why.
This lesson plan is found in the MENC Publication Strategies for Teaching Middle-Level General Music. This publication is available for purchase at 1-800-828-0229 or online at www.menc.org.
|Provided in partnership with NAfME|
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial