The Great Gatsby Journal Student Handout
For each of the nine chapters you will be expected to write the following in your Gatsby Journals.
- Title entries with the chapter number.
- Write a five sentence chapter summary.
- Each chapter choose a different character to focus on.
- Name the character.
- Choose a quote that you think best represents the character.
- Describe his/her best and worst qualities.
- In a paragraph describe the character's role in the novel.
- From each chapter choose one meaningful quote, and then describe its significance in the novel.
- Each chapter note at least two sightings of one or more of the following symbols: the color green, the color white, silver and gold, the ash heap, the eyes of T.J. Eckleberg, Gatsby's career/Nick's career, Gatsby's library of uncut books/Nick's unread books, Dan Cody, East Vs. West Egg, rain in chapter five, heat in chapter seven, Wolfsheim's cufflinks, faded timetable (showing names of Gatsby's guests), Gatsby's cars/clothes.
Decide how much you want each section to be worth.
|Grading Gatsby Journals|
|Character's Best/Worst Qualities||--------|
Return to The Great Gatsby Index Page.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial