- Students make paper chains.
- Students learn about different holiday symbols.
- Coloring supplies (crayons, markers, colored pencils)
- Glue, glitter, and other decorative supplies (optional)
- Fold a piece of paper in half, long ways.
- Then fold it accordion style.
- Draw an outline of a pine tree (or any holiday symbol) on the top fold so that the top of the tree touches the fold on top and the tips of the branches touch the sides.
- Cut out the tree. Be sure that you do not cut the ends of the branches or the tiptop of the tree.
- Unfold the tree. You should have several trees that are connected at the top so that they can stand up. They are also connected at the sides so that it looks like the trees' branches are brushing up against each other.
- Color and decorate each tree.
- For a multicultural theme, try cutting out paper dolls as described above.
- Decorate each doll in traditional costumes from different countries.
- On the inside, write your holiday greeting in different languages or holiday traditions (Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navidad).
- Encourage students to create numerous paper chains using a variety of holiday symbols.