Make a Map Jigsaw Puzzle
Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will review U.S. geography as they create a jigsaw puzzle from a map of the United States.
- Students will become more familiar with the locations, names, and capitals of the fifty states.
- Outline map of the United States
- Crayons or colored pencils
- Small plastic sandwich bag for storage
- Hand out a map, scissors, and small plastic bag to each student.
- Explain to students that they will be creating a jigsaw puzzle by cutting out each state from the map.
- Instruct students to use colored pencils or crayons to color regions of the map and/or label states and capitals before cutting the map. Students may use a classroom map or other reference materials to help them fill-in the map. (This will make the puzzle more useful as a study tool.)
- Once the map is labeled, have each student use scissors to cut out each state. These will become the puzzle pieces.
- Store the pieces in a plastic bag.
- This activity can be modified for world geography by using printable maps of world regions or continents.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial