- Students will use an Internet site to pick out items related to ancient Egypt.
- Students will estimate sums using front-end estimation and by estimating to the nearest dollar.
- Students will solve problems by adding money amounts and by practising to stay within a budget.
- Introduce key vocabulary: Egyptian, front-end estimation.
- Using the An Expedition to Egypt worksheet as a guide, students will use the to select items for an exhibit on ancient Egypt.
- Remind students that they must stay within their budget.
- Ask students to complete the worksheet using estimation skills and the information they find on the Internet site.
- Students may complete the worksheet in pairs or small groups.
- Schedule class time for students to share their calculations.
- Use a rubric to assess students' ability to obtain data from a website and solve consumer maths problems.
- Find a variety of assessment techniques to use with this lesson.
- Choose from a large collection of cross-curricular activities for all grade levels.
- Challenge students to fill up their piggy banks at Change Maker (). Have them choose a difficulty level and click on the United States flag to begin.