Chart Columbus's Voyages
Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will be able to map out Columbus's four voyages.
- Students will create a key for a map
- Distribute the world maps and colored pencils to each students.
- Distribute the Just Where Was Columbus? and Columbus's Voyages handouts, go over them with the students and have a short class discussion using the following questions:
- What were Columbus's intended destinations for each voyage?
- Why was he trying to get to each destination?
- Review some basic geography before students begin plotting Columbus's voyages. Ask students the following questions and have them locate the points on the map of the world:
- Where is Europe?
- Where is Asia?
- Where is North America?
- Where is South America?
- Have students plot each of Columbus's voyages in a different color.
- Students can make a key to indicate the meaning of each color.
- For extra credit ask students to calculate the distance (using the scale) that Columbus traveled on each voyage.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial