- Students will be able to map out Columbus's four voyages.
- Students will create a key for a map
- Distribute the world maps and colored pencils to each students.
- Distribute the Just Where Was Columbus? and Columbus's Voyages handouts, go over them with the students and have a short class discussion using the following questions:
- What were Columbus's intended destinations for each voyage?
- Why was he trying to get to each destination?
- Review some basic geography before students begin plotting Columbus's voyages. Ask students the following questions and have them locate the points on the map of the world:
- Where is Europe?
- Where is Asia?
- Where is North America?
- Where is South America?
- Have students plot each of Columbus's voyages in a different color.
- Students can make a key to indicate the meaning of each color.
- For extra credit ask students to calculate the distance (using the scale) that Columbus traveled on each voyage.