Smoking Lesson - Grade 4 and 5
Grade Levels: 4 - 5
- Students will research and study factual information about the dangers of cigarette smoking.
- Students will improve decision-making skills.
- Students will clarify personal attitudes and values.
- Study and discuss The Effects of Tobacco Use fact sheet on the dangers of cigarette smoking.
- Define and report on words that are related to cigarette smoking:
- Have the children discuss The Surgeon General's Warning sheet.
- Have the children ask the adults they know why they smoke. Explore with the class other alternatives that can be used to satisfy these reasons.
- Ask the students to respond to the following statements. They are to use facts that they know about cigarette smoking in their answers:
"I feel fine now even though I smoke."
"It's such a strong habit. I can't change it. I've tried."
"The damage is already done."
"I'm only hurting myself."
"All my friends smoke."
- Contact the local American Cancer Society or American Lung Association to have a speaker come in to give a talk or to receive materials to use for teaching about the dangers of cigarette smoking.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of teacher-approved worksheets, activities, and over 22,000 resources created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial