Smoking Lesson - Grade 4 and 5
Grade Levels: 4 - 5
- Students will research and study factual information about the dangers of cigarette smoking.
- Students will improve decision-making skills.
- Students will clarify personal attitudes and values.
- Study and discuss The Effects of Tobacco Use fact sheet on the dangers of cigarette smoking.
- Define and report on words that are related to cigarette smoking:
- Have the children discuss The Surgeon General's Warning sheet.
- Have the children ask the adults they know why they smoke. Explore with the class other alternatives that can be used to satisfy these reasons.
- Ask the students to respond to the following statements. They are to use facts that they know about cigarette smoking in their answers:
"I feel fine now even though I smoke."
"It's such a strong habit. I can't change it. I've tried."
"The damage is already done."
"I'm only hurting myself."
"All my friends smoke."
- Contact the local American Cancer Society or American Lung Association to have a speaker come in to give a talk or to receive materials to use for teaching about the dangers of cigarette smoking.