Grade Levels: K - 3
- The students will create a class garden and observe the growth of the plants.
- Garden spot
- Child-sized garden tools
- Watering cans or spray bottles
- Select a spot for the garden, then help the students till it. (Use landscape timbers or rocks to outline the area.)
- Let the children decide which vegetables they would like to grow, then purchase the seeds.
- Read the directions on the seed packets and make a diagram of the garden to outline where to plant different seeds.
- Several days before planting, encourage the children to dig in the dirt with their tools and shovels.
- Let the children make the rows, plant the seeds, and water their garden. (Label each row.)
- Have the children care for their plants by pulling weeds and watering them throughout the year.
- Encourage students to "harvest" their vegetables and prepare them for snack or lunch.
- Make a scarecrow for your garden. Stuff an old hose with leaves and straw for the arms and legs, then dress it in old clothes. Make a head from a grocery sack and stick on a funny hat.
Excerpted from Science Surprises!
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial