Community Outreach Ideas for Music in Our Schools Month
- Ask a shopping center to schedule student performances to celebrate Music In Our Schools Month.
- Have students list ways that music is a part of their everyday lives. Have them compare lists with friends and family members.
- Have each student interview family
members about what their favorite
songs were when they were the same age as the student.
Create musical family trees with the information.
- Schedule a special performance at your school. Invite a professional performer or a group of community musicians to perform for your students.
- Ask your local symphony or community band to get involved by including students in a MIOSM concert or event.
- Take students to perform at the senior citizens' center or nursing home , or invite these groups to your school for a special concert.
- Coordinate WLC and MIOSM activities to include local Tri-M and Collegiate MENC chapters.
- Invite the community to a music class open house . This is an opportunity to feature the basic educational role of music in our schools, rather than to focus entirely on the performance aspect of music.
- Create an "adopt a musician" program through the local adult day care or senior center. Have students adopt a senior and spend some time interviewing them about what musical experiences they have had during their lives.
- Contact your local school board association and invite its members to visit or participate in your MIOSM/WLC activities.
- Develop partnerships with your local arts agencies and/or arts organizations to coproduce an event around the WLC.
- Have a local arts agency sponsor a
symposium/workshop for parents on the value of music
education and/or arts education. Present research information or hands-on
|Provided in partnership with NAfME|
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial