Activities for Music in Our Schools MonthThese suggestions were contributed by MENC members from around the United States.
- Middle school students in Little Hocking, Ohio enjoyed a lecture and concert on opera, performed by a guest tenor, as well as a string trio performance. Fifth graders also presented a musical with a patriotic theme.
- Trinity Lutheran Nursery School in Park Forest, Illinois had fun with such activities as singing, coloring pictures of musical instruments, and moving to the World's Largest Concert.
- Glen Acres Elementary in Lafayette, Indiana had the attention of their hometown as they presented a televised 15-minute presentation on how their school was celebrating Music In Our Schools Month. During their presentation, students gave interviews on MIOSM and sang for the cameras.
- In Tucson, Arizona students at Harriet Johnson Primary School learned about each of the fifty states and mapped the location of the schools that participated in the concert broadcast.
- String students at Wintergreen Elementary School in Greenville, North Carolina wrote their very own musical compositions, and the band students played a joint concert with students from a neighboring school.
- In Leesburg, Virginia at Evergreen Mill Elementary School, over 225 parents attended music class with their children for one week.
- Franklin Monroe Elementary in Arcanum, Ohio held a Grandparent Day Sing Along and Game Show called, "Who Wants to Be a Patriotic Citizen?"
- Sixth grade choir members at Douglas Middle School in Douglas, Wyoming celebrated MIOSM by writing announcements about MIOSM which were aired on local radio stations.
- Students and guests from Yulee Elementary School in Yulee, Florida were treated to a performance by members of the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra.
- Students from Jim Stone Elementary in Conway, Arkansas joined their voices with students from across the state in a sing-along at the state capitol.
- Parents, teachers, and friends of Black Fox Elementary in Cleveland, Tennessee displayed their musical talents for students on "Musicians Among Us Day!" Students also put their best efforts into a school-wide poetry contest. The theme for the poems was "Make Music, America! 2000."
- At Rolling Green Elementary in Urbandale, Iowa , a percussionist specializing in steel drums served as artist-in-residence for one week in March. The program was partially funded through a grant from the Iowa Arts Council.
- At Longs Creek Elementary School in San Antonio, Texas each student created a leaf, with their family's favorite songs on it, to hang on the musical family tree.
- At Walnut Elementary School in Emporia, Kansas students integrated technology by enjoying software and Internet activities to augment learning about the WLC songs.
|Provided in partnership with NAfME|
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial