Mother May I?
This game is similar to Simon Says, where the person giving the command also has to give permission to carry it out.
- Students listen carefully and ask, "Mother, may I?"
- The response must be, "Yes you may."
- If the response is only, "Yes," then the person may not carry out the task.
A variation of this game is Giant Steps.
- The mother stands at a distance from the other players who are lined up.
- The mother calls out the name of each student before giving a specific command ("Jimmy, you may take three giant steps," or "Bertina, you may take one baby step").
- Students have to say "Mother, may I?" before they show any movement of their body.
- The group will get closer and closer to the mother.
- The one who finally gets close enough to touch the mother becomes the next mother.
- The game begins all over again.
Excerpted from Multicultural Discovery Activities for the Elementary Grades.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial