Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will be able to measure linearly using ruler/meter stick within a quarter of an inch.
- Students will be able to measure liquid capacity.
- Students will be able to measure mass.
- A worksheet to record measurement;
- Gram scales (balance beam) for each workstation
- Rulers and meter sticks
- Assortment of graduated containers
- An "unknown quantity" workstation could be added as a test.
- Set up lab of different forms of measuring - one at each station.
- Using overhead, demonstrate measuring with each type.
- Using graduates, demonstrate reading the mantissa.
- Divide class into 4 groups.
- Each student is given 10 minutes/station.
- Teacher supervises stations (linear stations need most help).
- Mass measurement station may need instruction as well.
- Students discuss results within groups, then groups share with class.
- Have students measure something at home under 1 foot; over 6 feet; capacity of cooking pots.
- Give students the formula for area, then ask kids: "How big is your yard?"
- Note, it's fun for kids to estimate measure using a variety of measurement units: the length of a pace, size of a hand, etc.