Map Making, Floor Plans & Map Reading
Grade Levels: 4 - 6
- Students will be able to map the school room using scale.
- Students will be able to make and use a legend.
- Students will be able to orient map using a compass.
- A map with a legend for each student
- 6 compasses
- A ruler for each student
- Drawing paper (with graph overlay)
- Classroom dimensions
- Classroom furniture measurements on fact sheet/transparency
- Discuss idea of legend and orientation/students practice with compasses and map handouts.
- Discuss scale (e.g., 1 centimeter = 5 meters).
- Using graph paper, students will map out the room.
- Work in groups or pairs for peer help.
- If there's time, transfer graph paper floor plan to drawing paper.
- Add legend and compass rose.
- Share the maps with the whole class.
- As students become skilled in map making, they can work in groups to map out each floor of the school or make maps of their neighborhoods.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial