Grade Levels: 5 - 12
- Students will practice simple algebraic equations by converting the Chinese Yuan into U.S. dollars.
- Copies of Solve it in Yuan Student Handout
- Distribute copies of Solve it in Yuan Student Handout
- Allow time for students to solve the problems. When they are finished, review the answers (included with worksheet) with them.
- Instruct students to estimate the costs for one day of their trip to China for a family of four (2 adults and 2 students). Approximate hotel and dining costs can be found in most travel books. Estimate other expenses. Although the activity provided can be used as a guide, encourage students to make other selections on how the family will spend the day.
- An abacus is a tool used in China for counting and doing simple arithmetic. It is the forerunner of modern-day calculators. The abacus is still used in China as well as other Asian countries. Obtain an abacus and help students learn to use it.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial