Examine the following symbols in The Great Gatsby. Describe the meaning/function of each symbol. Some of the symbols are characters and some of them are actions. Think about all of them in the following way: what is the function/meaning of this symbol?
- Gatsby's uncut books/Nick's unread books
- Wolfsheim's cufflinks
- Gatsby's car/Gatsby's clothes
- Tom Buchanan pushing people around/Tom Buchanan quoting things "he's read"
- The faded timetable (showing the names of Gatsby's guests)
- Anti-semitism, prejudice
- Time, seasons
- The ash heap
- The green light at the end of Daisy's dock
- East versus West Egg
- Gatsby's career/Nick's career
- Dan Cody
- T.J. Eckleberg
- Silver and gold (color)
- White (color)
- Green (color)
Return to The Great Gatsby Index Page.