Examine the following symbols in The Great Gatsby. Describe the meaning/function of each symbol. Some of the symbols are characters and some of them are actions. Think about all of them in the following way: what is the function/meaning of this symbol?
- Gatsby's uncut books/Nick's unread books
- Wolfsheim's cufflinks
- Gatsby's car/Gatsby's clothes
- Tom Buchanan pushing people around/Tom Buchanan quoting things "he's read"
- The faded timetable (showing the names of Gatsby's guests)
- Anti-semitism, prejudice
- Time, seasons
- The ash heap
- The green light at the end of Daisy's dock
- East versus West Egg
- Gatsby's career/Nick's career
- Dan Cody
- T.J. Eckleberg
- Silver and gold (color)
- White (color)
- Green (color)
Return to The Great Gatsby Index Page.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of teacher-approved worksheets, activities, and over 22,000 resources created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial