The Great Gatsby Journal Student Handout
For each of the nine chapters you will be expected to write the following in your Gatsby Journals.
- Title entries with the chapter number.
- Write a five sentence chapter summary.
- Each chapter choose a different character to focus on.
- Name the character.
- Choose a quote that you think best represents the character.
- Describe his/her best and worst qualities.
- In a paragraph describe the character's role in the novel.
- From each chapter choose one meaningful quote, and then describe its significance in the novel.
- Each chapter note at least two sightings of one or more of the following symbols: the color green, the color white, silver and gold, the ash heap, the eyes of T.J. Eckleberg, Gatsby's career/Nick's career, Gatsby's library of uncut books/Nick's unread books, Dan Cody, East Vs. West Egg, rain in chapter five, heat in chapter seven, Wolfsheim's cufflinks, faded timetable (showing names of Gatsby's guests), Gatsby's cars/clothes.
Decide how much you want each section to be worth.
|Grading Gatsby Journals|
|Character's Best/Worst Qualities||--------|
Return to The Great Gatsby Index Page.