The Gingerbread Man
Grade Levels: Pre-K - 2
- Students will become familiar with important school staff members.
- Students will recognize community helpers.
- Students will be able to retell a story, sequentially.
- Book: The Gingerbread Man, an Old English folktale
- Optional: camera (to take pictures of staff members with children)
- Shape cutouts to match staff jobs (Label these with job names.)
- Take students on a tour of the school building, meeting staff members (secretary, nurse, principal, custodian, etc.) as you go.
- Take pictures of each staff member.
- Upon returning to the classroom, discuss whom you met, their names and jobs, and post these facts on the shape cutouts.
- Read aloud the story of The Gingerbread Man.
- Tell children to chime in where appropriate:
"Run, run as fast as you can,
You can't catch me,
I'm the Gingerbread Man!"
- Now retell the story in a different way. This time, the Gingerbread Man comes to your school, where he runs from the bus driver, secretary, principal, nurse, lunch ladies, etc. He then comes by your classroom, but instead of running away, he stops, comes in, and stays with the teacher and children.
- Retell the new story until the children have learned the names of all the staff members whom they met earlier.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial