An Expedition to Egypt
Grade Levels: 3 - 5Objectives
- Students will use an Internet site to pick out items related to ancient Egypt.
- Students will estimate sums using front-end estimation and by estimating to the nearest dollar.
- Students will solve problems by adding money amounts and by practicing to
within a budget.
- Introduce key vocabulary: Egyptian, front-end estimation.
- Using the An Expedition to Egypt worksheet as a guide, students will use the Discovery Store to select items for an exhibit on ancient Egypt.
- Remind students that they must stay within their budget.
- Ask students to complete the worksheet using estimation skills and the information they find on the Internet site.
- Students may complete the worksheet in pairs or small groups.
- Schedule class time for students to share their calculations.
- Use a rubric to assess students' ability
to obtain data from a website and solve consumer math problems.
- Find a variety of assessment techniques to use with this lesson.
- Choose from a large collection of cross-curricular activities for all grade levels.
- Challenge students to fill up their piggy banks at Change Maker (http://www.funbrain.com/cashreg/index.html). Have them choose a difficulty level and click on the United States flag to begin.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial