Crisis Intervention Plan for an Intruder
The intruder can be a gunman, kidnapper,
thief, or any violent person. Steps to take include:
- Summon emergency help call 911 if necessary.
- Take whatever action is appropriate to reduce danger to students and staff. Possible actions are to:
- Isolate the intruder.
- Evacuate the building.
- Move students to another location within the building.
- Stay in classrooms with doors closed and/or locked.
- If the intruder is outside the building, move students inside and lock outside doors.
- Notify central office.
- Decide if students should be taken to an alternate location.
- Determine if students should return to class or be dismissed early.
- Maintain student roster for dismissal.
- Write a press release.
- Determine need for follow-up support to those involved and their families.
Provided in partnership with The Council for Exceptional Children.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial