Crisis Intervention Plan for an Intruder
The intruder can be a gunman, kidnapper,
thief, or any violent person. Steps to take include:
- Summon emergency help call 911 if necessary.
- Take whatever action is appropriate to reduce danger to students and staff. Possible actions are to:
- Isolate the intruder.
- Evacuate the building.
- Move students to another location within the building.
- Stay in classrooms with doors closed and/or locked.
- If the intruder is outside the building, move students inside and lock outside doors.
- Notify central office.
- Decide if students should be taken to an alternate location.
- Determine if students should return to class or be dismissed early.
- Maintain student roster for dismissal.
- Write a press release.
- Determine need for follow-up support to those involved and their families.
Provided in partnership with The Council for Exceptional Children.