Grade Levels: 3 - 6
Students will learn to communicate non-verbally, lowering the noise level in the classroom.
- An American Sign Language Dictionary, for example, The Joy of Signing.
- A copy of the American Sign Language manual alphabet.
- Begin the first day of school by using your softest voice so that students will learn appropriate inside voices.
- Model simple hand signs, incorporating them into everything you do.
- Begin with simple signs that will be most useful in your classroom, like, thank you, yes, no, sit, stand, line up, and the manual alphabet.
- By mid year, with practice, students usually know how to sign simple sentences, days of the week, months of the year, numbers to 20, primary colors, and common school supplies.
- By the end of the year, you could be ready to sign a whole song and speak (sign) in sentences.
If you need to teach it, we have it covered.
Start your free trial to gain instant access to thousands of expertly curated worksheets, activities, and lessons created by educational publishers and teachers.Start Your Free Trial